So far we had to deal with two main issues. The first one, which is also the most important and challenging one, is closely related to the information gathering. According to this, during the last three weeks we had the chance to focuse on our main reference, i.e. “Rialto: le fabbriche e il ponte”, by Donatella Calabi and Paolo Morachiello. This book deals with the entire history of the Rialto area, since it follows the chronological sequence of events that occurred providing, at the same time, detailed information about the dimensions and quotes of the projects edited for the Rialto’s realization. One of the main consideration we came up with, is that there were a lot of versions of the bridge and different proposals have been made for its construction. So that, there is not an exact section of the book where we can find the information we need. Moreover we are interested in three different versions of the bridge as well as the actual one, so we had to go through the entire book and look for what we wanted. This took us a lot of time, more than what we expected. At least we started to gather data about the dimensions of the different versions of the bridge. This allowed us to start to build 2D sketches of the bridge. These early stage sketches can be translated into very basic 3D models, i.e. bridge built with basic shapes and volumes. This brings us to the second problem we have to cope with, which is our lack of experience with 3D modeling. Luckily SketchUp 2015, the software we are using, has very user friendly interface and is very easy to find help and tutorial online. The material we started with is a .dwg file, which contains a 2D planimetry of the Rialto area and in particular a focus on the bridge. Using this base we can extrude all the volumes corresponding to the measures obtained reading the book and build in this way the different versions of the bridge. This process is going to be even longer for the Palladio’s version, since this has a different orientation and position with respect to the actual one. So we’ll have to modify the planimetry we have and it will be even more time consuming.
Considering all these features, we can look at the bigger picture of the entire project. Finding the necessary data forced us to read an entire book and this was not taken into account when we did the project plan. Moreover the original plan was conceived for a team of three people, but starting from the second semester we are 2. In any case, this process allowed us to find information about all the versions at the same time. For this reasons we are thinking to avoid to do the CGI part of the project and the “what if” analysis about the Palladio version. The aim of the project has always been the 3D modeling part, so we prefer to focus on this aspect and to develop it in the most suitable way.
– Marco Liborio Biancolillo. Omar Flores